Friday, July 01, 2005

We Are Not the Problem

Dear The Livak:

I write, beseeching you as the one human who has provided, in the venerable pages of The Litvak Chronicles, a platform for the rights of those your society would otherwise ignore (here and here and here, sort of).

I write in response to this thoughtless NYT editorial complaining that random testing of cattle for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy ("BSE") is inadequate to protect humans against a threat from eating our brains.
The piece thoughtlessly refers to BSE as "Mad Cow Disease," as if we cattle were all female, and as if our dementia--the result of being fed by-products of our own kind while in captivity by humans--were something exotic.
If it weren't for the fact that cattle are completely incapable of living in the wild, I think my disgust for humans would prompt me to flee the ranch.
As it is, however, I accept that I'm food for hairless apes, and simply ask for some consideration.

But the Times writes:
There is only one answer to this mess. It is to create a national identity system for all cattle so they can be tracked more easily and to test them one by one until we know without a doubt the incidence of mad cow disease.

This infringement of our civil rights cannot be tolerated. You can milk us, fatten us, slaughter us, breed us, brand us, and make us wear bells (actually, I rather fancy my bell), but a national ID system impermissibly infringes on our natural rights.

Dear The Litvak, hear our plea, and let the humans know that Big Agriculture is to blame, and not the privacy of good, honest cattle.

Sincerely,
Dottie

Dottie

No comments: